20 min prep time, 5 min cooking time, serves 4 people
If you want to spice things up, we recommend trying this Bean and Eggplant Salad. The combination of the sautéed eggplants, protein rich beans, crispy vegetables, fresh herbs, and spices give this salad a rich variety of flavors. To top it all off, it is full of nutritious value. This salad is good on its own, or can be served as a side dish to a main course including chicken or steak.
- 16 oz can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 large eggplants
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 orange bell peppers, sliced
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1.5 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Take your eggplants and cut them into 3 large pieces, placing each piece flat side down. Now cut those pieces into 8 roughly 2 inch long pieces. Place the eggplant pieces into a large bowl. Add 1 tsp of salt, mix, and set it aside for 10 minutes to get rid of the bitterness from the eggplant. Rinse and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Sauté them for 5 minutes, or until tender and golden brown. Remove the eggplant from the skillet and let it cool.
- In a separate large bowl, add the red kidney beans, sliced peppers, chopped celery, minced cilantro, minced garlic, and sautéed eggplant. Mix well.
- In a small bowl, whisk 3 tbsp of olive oil, red wine vinegar, 1/2 tsp of salt, and pepper. Pour this dressing over the vegetables in the large bowl and mix well. Set it a side for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to combine.