20 min prep time, 30 min cooking time, serves 6 people
This dish is an Azerbaijani variety of the Turkish dish Tava Kebab, which combines beef patties with potatoes and a variety of vegetables. The most common version starts by mixing the beef with finely chopped onions and garlic, shaping the mixture into patties and then pan-frying them.
The dish is garnished with fresh pepper, tomatoes, and served as the main course of a larger meal.
- 1.5 lbs ground beef
- 6 medium size potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 large onion, grated
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 Italian long hot green pepper, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, grated onions, bread crumbs, minced garlic, 1/2 tsp of salt, and 1/2 tsp of pepper. Mix well and form into patties.
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil on a pan and fry the patties over medium high heat for 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Once the patties are ready, take them out of the pan and set them aside for later.
- Start boiling a kettle of water, which will be needed for a later step.
- In a separate pan, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium high heat. Add the potato wedges and fry them for 10 minutes so they are cooked but not fully cooked.
- Add the beef patties to the skillet with the potatoes, along with enough of the boiled water from the kettle to cover both the potatoes and patties.
- Add the sliced tomatoes, sliced Italian long hot peppers, turmeric, 1/2 tsp of salt, and 1/2 tsp of pepper. Mix the ingredients so the spices soak into the food. Let it cook on medium low heat for 10 minutes or until everything is fully cooked.
- Turn off the heat and serve.