prep time 15 minutes, cooking time 20 minutes, serves 8 people
- 1 package Puff pastry -1 lb
- 1 egg
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup sugar
- berries to decorate
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 2tbsp heavy cream or milk
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- In a bowl using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and egg together on medium speed until smooth. Add the sugar, lemon zest, and vanilla, then beat until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- On a floured work surface, roll dough out into a 12×8 inch rectangle. You can roll out the dough on a lightly floured piece of parchment paper because you will transfer the shaped dough to a lined baking sheet next.
- Using a sharp knife, cut off two corners of the dough (on one 8-inch side) and then two small triangles 3 inches apart from each other on the other end
- Spread cream cheese filling down the length of the center of the strip, which should be about 3 inches wide. Using a sharp knife, pastry wheel, or pizza cutter, cut 10 slanting strips (3/4 – 1 inch wide each) along both sides. Fold strips over filling, alternating each side to resemble a twist or a braid. Fold the bottom end up to seal the filling inside
- Whisk the egg wash ingredients together. Brush all over the dough. Transfer in to baking sheet
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown.
8.Remove baked braids from the oven and cool for at least 10 minutes before icing, cutting, and serving.
9.Whisk the icing ingredients together. If you want a thicker icing, whisk in more confectioners’ sugar. If you want a thinner icing, whisk in more milk or cream. Drizzle over pastries and serve