1 hr preparation time, serves 5-6 people
This Eggplant Roll recipe is a great appetizer for when you have guests and want to mix things up with a variety of flavors and textures. The soft eggplant, the crunchy walnuts, and the sweet pomegranate seeds makes this the perfect finger food.
- 3 medium sized eggplants
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 1/2 cup of walnuts
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro
- 1/2 bunch fresh dill
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 pomegranate
- Preheat the oven to 400°F or 200°C. Peel and cut 3 eggplants lengthwise into 1/4 inch thick strips. Sprinkle 1 tsp of salt over the eggplant strips and leave them in a large bowl for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, chop the walnuts, cilantro, and fresh dill. Mince the 2 garlic cloves. Set them aside for later.
- Place the eggplant strips on some paper towels and pad it dry to remove excess liquid and salt. Move the eggplant strips onto a baking pan covered with parchment paper. Brush both sides of the eggplants with with olive oil.
- Place the baking pan into the oven and let it bake for 15 minutes, or until they are golden.
- While the eggplants are baking. Take another bowl and add the chopped walnuts, cilantro, dill, and minced garlic. Make sure to save 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro for later. Then add 2 tbsp of mayonnaise and 1/4 tsp of pepper. Mix well.
- Remove the seeds from the pomegranate until you have 1/2 cup of seeds.
- Once the eggplants are ready, take them out of the oven and let them cool off. When ready, take an eggplant strip and put one teaspoon of filling on the end. Roll up the strip and place it on a serving plate so the seam side is down. Repeat until all eggplant strips are rolled.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds and the chopped cilantro from earlier. Serve.
Let us know in the comments what you thought of the recipe and if you would like to see similar recipes in the future!