2 hr cooking time, serves 5 people
This meatball, potato, and zucchini casserole is very simple and easy to make, yet contains a variety of great flavors ranging from zesty to savory.
- 1.5 pounds ground beef
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper
- 1 jar tomato sauce
- 2 lb of small Yukon potatoes, peeled and boiled
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F or 200°C. In a large mixing bowl, add the 1.5 pounds of ground beef, 2 chopped onions, 1/2 cup of bread crumbs, 1/2 a teaspoon of cumin, and 1/2 a teaspoon of both salt and pepper. Mix well. Form the mixture into small meatballs about an inch wide.
- Pour 1/2 a jar of tomato sauce to the bottom of a casserole pan. Place a row of meatballs alternating with a row of small Yukon potatoes until the whole pan is filled.
- Place zucchini slices between the rows. If you like your food spicy, sprinkle the chopped jalapeno pepper over the food. The dish should look like the picture below. Now pour the other half of the tomato sauce on top.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and cook in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes. Take out the pan and remove the foil. Put the pan back in for another 10-15 minutes so the meat can fully cook. Meat should be brown before you take the pan out of the oven.
- Take out the pan, sprinkle with green onion or cilantro, and serve.