15 min prep time, 5 min cooking time, serve 4 people
Zucchini is a vegetable, usually cooked and eaten as a savory dish or accompaniment. To make it more flavorful we can use different spices. One side dish made of zucchini is the Korean zucchini side dish, or Hobak Namul.“Hobak” means zucchini, and “namul” means vegetable side dish. This dish is best made with Korean zucchini, however North American zucchini works too and is just as delicious! It can be served by itself or as a side dish. I prefer to eat it with rice and a various types of meats mixed in with the stir fry.
- 4 medium size zucchinis
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 carrot
- 2 tbsp fish sauce or oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp red chili powder, or cayenne pepper ,optional
- 2 tsp cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- sesame seeds for garnish
- sesame oil for garnish
- Slice zucchinis into thin circles and shred the carrots with a Korean grater. Alternatively, you can cut the carrots into thin sticks with a knife.
- Place all the ingredients, except the sesame seeds and sesame oil, into a wok or large skillet over high heat.
- Stir fry for 5 minutes, or until the zucchini is cooked but still has a little crunch to it. The wok will have some liquid at the bottom, which is totally fine.
- Place on a serving plate, garnishing the dish with sesame seeds and sesame oil. Serve with rice or by itself.