45 min prep time, serves 4 people
I like to try dishes from cuisines around the world. One of the simplest dishes I have tried is this Asian Cucumber Salad recipe. A perfect salad for summer, it combines crisp coins of cucumber, fresh green onions, and a dressing reminiscent of umami. Whether you serve this healthy salad alone, or as a side dish, it’s guaranteed to be a hit!
- 1.5 lbs cucumbers
- 1/2 cup carrots
- 1/2 cup green onions
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil or vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- salt and pepper
- Wash and slice the 1.5 lbs of cucumbers into a bowl. Sprinkle 1 tsp of salt over the cucumber slices and mix it. Set it aside for about 30 minutes to let the salt pull excess liquid from the cucumbers.
- While you wait, wash the green onions and chop them. Wash, peel, and shred the carrots. Once the 30 minutes has passed, drain the excess liquid. Now rinse the cucumber slices and pat dry with a paper towel. Put all of the vegetables into a big bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine and whisk 2 tbsp of vinegar, 2 tbsp of soy sauce, and 1 tbsp of sesame oil. Pour this dressing over the vegetables in the big bowl. Mix well.
- Add 1 minced garlic clove, 1/4 tsp of crushed red pepper, 1/2 tsp of paprika, and 2 tbsp of sesame seeds. Mix well.
- You can serve right away, or place the salad in the fridge for 30 minutes to allow all the flavors to soak in.