30 min cooking time, serves 4 people
This Chinese inspired eggplant salad has a wide variety of flavors, ranging from sweet to savory. When you buy your eggplants, choose eggplants that are firm and shiny as these are sweeter. For the best eating experience prepare the salad hours or even a day in advance, letting it cool off in the fridge.
- 3 Chinese eggplants
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp coriander
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
- Wash and cut the 3 Chinese eggplants into 1 inch pieces. Place the pieces in a bowl and sprinkle 2 tbsp of corn starch on top. Mix well.
- Heat 3 tbsp of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the eggplant pieces and fry them until golden. Place a paper towel on a plate, with the eggplant pieces on top of it. Leave it there to drain out excess oil.
- Add the chopped red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, small red onion, plum tomatoes, shredded carrots, and the now fried eggplant pieces. Mix well.
- In a small bowl, whisk 2 tbsp of olive oil, 2 tbsp of vinegar, 2 tbsp of soy sauce, minced garlic, 1 tsp of coriander, and your preferred amount of salt and pepper.
- Add this sauce to the bowl containing the vegetables. Now add the chopped cilantro and mix well. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp of roasted sesame seeds and serve.