40 min baking time, makes 24 egg rolls
A healthier take on the usual method of making egg rolls, this baked chicken egg roll recipe will not disappoint. Serve with soy sauce or change things up with sweet chili sauce for a delightful start to your dinner.
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 5 tablespoons canola oil
- cooking spray
- 2 cups carrots, grated
- 1 can (14 ounces) bean sprouts, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped water chestnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup green peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pack of egg roll wrappers (24 sheets)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Add 3 teaspoons of canola oil to a skillet and cook the ground chicken over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes. Set aside the cooked in a bowl for later.
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Add 2 cups of grated carrots, 1 can of drained bean sprouts, 1/2 cup of chopped water chestnuts, 1/4 cup of chopped green peppers, 1/4 cup of chopped green onions, and 1 minced garlic clove. Cook and stir over medium heat for 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender-crisp. Add cooked chicken to the skillet.
- In a small bowl, combine 4 teaspoons of cornstarch, 1 tablespoon of water, 2 tablespoons of canola oil, 1 tablespoon of light soy sauce, 1 teaspoon of brown sugar, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Mix everything until it is a smooth consistency. Add it to skillet with the ground chicken. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Turn off the heat.
- Take 2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture and add it to the bottom third of 1 egg roll wrapper. Fold the bottom corner of the wrapper to cover the filling. Then fold the side corners toward the center and roll it forward into a tight egg roll shape. Keep remaining wrappers covered with a damp paper towel until ready to use. Place seam side down on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Repeat until all egg rolls are wrapped.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 egg with 2 tbsp of vegetable oil. Brush all the egg rolls with this mixture and place them back on the baking sheet. Bake at 425°F or 220°C for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve.