1 hr prep time, serves 6 people
Cabbage salad is a classic side dish, and a must have for any backyard barbecue. It’s simple to make, with just a few easy to find ingredients. The vinegar based dressing is sweet, tangy, and vibrant, pairing well with a variety of main dishes. Serve with fish, chicken, or beef.
- 1/2 head white cabbage
- 1/2 head purple cabbage
- 2 cucumbers
- 1 large carrot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Shred the white and purple cabbages into a large bowl. Add 1/2 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of sugar. Mix well and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and shred the large carrot. Then wash and slice the cucumbers into coins. Then cut the coins in half.
- Once 20 minutes has passed, press down on the shredded cabbage and drain the excess liquid from it.
- Add the shredded carrots, sliced cucumbers, and minced garlic into the large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil, vinegar, black pepper, and 1/2 tsp of salt. Pour this dressing over the salad and mix well. Store it in the fridge for 30 minutes to allow the cabbage to absorb the dressing and soften.
- Take out the bowl from the fridge and mix again. Serve.