2.5-4.5 hr cooking time, serves 4-6 people
Don’t have time to cook during the day? Or perhaps the cold winter nights have you down? Chili is the perfect dish for bringing some warmth back into your life without the hassle of cooking a complicated dish. The wide variety of spices and other ingredients in this Chili recipe makes for a deliciously satisfying experience that will last for days.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 3/4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 30 ounces dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained (2 cans, 15 ounces each)
- 30 ounces white kidney beans, rinsed and drained (2 cans, 15 ounces each)
- 30 ounces tomato sauce (2 cans, 15 ounces each)
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- salt and pepper
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, to skillet. Once oil is warm, add the ground beef and chopped onions to the skillet.
- Cook until beef is browned and onions are softened. Drain juices from the beef and set aside beef and onions for later.
- In a small bowl, mix the paprika, cumin, mustard powder, basil, cayenne pepper, black pepper and salt.
- Add all ingredients, to a 6-7 quart crock pot. Stir all the ingredients well. If you like your chili with more sauce, add water as needed.
- Cook on HIGH for 2 hours, or LOW for 4 hours, stirring every 30 minutes. The longer the Chili is left to cook, the more tender it will be.
- Garnish with grated cheddar cheese, sour cream, and chopped green onions for a more creamy sauce.