20 min prep time, 45 min cooking time, serves 6 people
Meatball Soup with Chickpeas and Potatoes is one of my favorite comfort foods. The chickpeas and meatballs provide lots of protein, while the potatoes give off a soft contrasting taste, making for a hearty soup fit for a main course. The best part of it all is that it will retain its flavor for days.
- 1.5 lbs ground beef
- 4 medium size potatoes, peeled and cut in half
- 1 large onion, grated
- 1 can chick peas (20 oz)
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tsp cilantro, minced
- 1 tsp dry mint
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- In a large bowl, add the ground beef, grated onions, bread crumbs, minced cilantro, 1/2 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp of pepper, and coriander. Mix well and form your meatballs.
- In a large pot, boil 3 quarts of water. Once at a boil, add the meatballs to the pot cook for 20 minutes. Add the potatoes to the same pot and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Open and drain the can of chick peas and add it to the pot with the meatballs. Add 1/2 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp of pepper, and the turmeric. Cook everything for another 5 minutes. Add the dry mint and mix.
- Turn off the heat and serve.