30 min prep time, 25 min cooking time, serves 6 people
When you want a delicious homemade meal reminiscent of your favorite Chinese restaurant, you can’t go wrong with Mongolian Beef. This stir fry recipe is originally from Taiwan, with an additional kick thanks to the sweet sauce included. Serve with white rice and steamed vegetables, and this is sure to be one of your favorite main dishes!
- 2 lbs flank steak, sliced 1/2 cm thick against the grain
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Marinade Ingredients
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Stir Fry Ingredients
- 7 green onions, cut into 2-inch strips
- 6 dried red chili peppers
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp dried ginger, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Sauce Ingredients
- 3 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- Add all of the marinade ingredients to a bowl and mix them. Coat the slices of beef with the mixture, leaving them to marinate for 15 minutes.
- Pour 1 cup of vegetable oil onto a large pan over high heat. Wait until the oil reaches becomes hot by placing a wooden utensil into the oil. You are looking for bubbles to form around the utensil.
- Place the beef slices in batches onto the pan for 2-3 minutes on one side, and 1 minute on the other. The time might vary so keep the beef frying until it is crispy and brown.
- Transfer the cooked beef to a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat this process until all beef has been fried.
- In a small bowl, whisk the sauce ingredients together until the brown sugar has dissolved and the sauce has become consistent. Set aside for later.
- Place a new pan or wok on the stove over high heat and add in 2 tbsp of vegetable oil. Once the oil is hot, add the dried minced ginger, minced garlic, and the dried red chili peppers. Stir until fragrant.
- Add in the beef from before and stir for 30 seconds to combine all the flavors. Coat the beef with the sauce from earlier and stir fry to coat the beef evenly with the sauce. Add in the green onion strips and mix the food.
- Transfer the Mongolian Beef to a plate and serve immediately with rice and steamed vegetables.