35 min prep time, 20 min baking time, makes 15 pieces
Samosas are a savory pastry that originated in the Middle East, but overtime different variations were adopted throughout Asia and Africa. This version is filled primarily with beef and onions and makes for a surprisingly filling appetizer. Perfect for big parties, we recommend either a yogurt and garlic dip or a tomato, basil, and garlic dip to complement the samosas.
- 1 package filo dough
- 1.5 lbs ground beef
- 1 large onion, grated
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil + 2 tbsp for beef + 1 tbsp for eggs
- 1/3 cup almond milk or regular milk
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Heat 2 tbsp of vegetable oil in a skillet and cook the ground beef for 5 minutes over medium high heat. Add the grated onions and cook for another 3 minutes. Add cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, and cook for another 2 minutes, mixing to combine all the flavors. Turn off the heat and let it cool.
- In a bowl, mix 1/2 cup of vegetable oil with 1/3 cup of milk.
- Take out the filo dough from the package. Place one sheet on a flat surface and brush it with the oil and milk mixture. Take out another sheet and place it on top of the first. Brush again with oil and milk mixture. Repeat with one last sheet. Cut the sheets the long way into 3 strips.
- Place 2 tbsp of beef mixture from the skillet on the end of each strip and fold it into a triangle shape. Do this by first folding one corner of a strip over to cover the meat, maintaining the triangle shape as you fold forward.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 until the whole package of dough and beef mixture is gone.
- Place all the triangles on the baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Mix 2 eggs with 1 tbsp of vegetable oil in a bowl. Brush all the triangles with this egg wash. Sprinkle them with sesame seeds.
- Place the baking sheet into the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Take the baking sheet out of the oven and let the samosas cool for a few minutes. Serve.