1 hr cooking time, serves 4 people
Stuffed Peppers are common among many cuisines. This recipe consists of hollowed out peppers filled with onions, ground beef, cheese, and a variety of spices. Depending on your taste though, it can include other meats, vegetables, sauces, and rice.
- 2.5 lbs ground beef
- 2 large onion, grated/shredded
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 8 bell peppers of various colors
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric
- 1 can tomato sauce (16 oz)
- 1 cup of cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F or 200°C.
- In a large pan heat 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the 2.5 lbs of ground beef and cook it for 15 minutes, or until it has browned. Add the grated onions and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper. Mix well. Let it simmer for 3 minutes and then turn off the heat to let it cool.
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each bell pepper and leave it to the side. Remove seeds and membranes; rinse out the peppers. Shake off excess water, stuff the peppers with the beef mixture from the pan and place the top slice from before over the peppers.
- Open the tomato sauce can and add the salt, pepper, and turmeric to it. Mix inside the can. Pour some tomato sauce into a casserole pan so it just covers the bottom. Place the stuffed peppers over the sauce, and pour the rest of the tomato sauce on top of them. Cover the pan with foil and place it in the preheated oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and remove the top from the peppers. Add the 1 cup of grated cheese on top of the meat inside the peppers. Place the tops back on the stuffed peppers and bake the peppers for another 10 minutes.
- Once fully cooked, remove the pan from the oven and garnish with the 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro. Serve.