30 min prep time, 25 min baking time, serves 10 people
Experience a delicious burst of flavor when you try these Chicken Empanadas. The shredded chicken, potatoes, and onions are complimented extremely well by the healthy vegetables, garlic, and spices. You won’t believe how good it is until you take a bite into the hearty and savory filling. Enjoy our simple tasty chicken empanada recipe!
- 1 cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1 pack empanada dough (10 sheets)
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small potato, cut into small cubes
- 1 carrot, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp 2% milk
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- Heat up the olive oil on the skillet over medium heat. Sauté the chopped onions and minced garlic for 2 minutes. Then add the potatoes, peas, carrots, and shredded chicken to the skillet, cooking for 10 minutes.
- Afterward add the cumin, salt, and pepper. Mix in the spices and cook for another 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the chopped cilantro. Set it aside to cool.
- On a flat surface, lay out the dough. Take two tablespoons of filling and place it in the center of the dough. Fold the top portion of dough over the filling, forming a semicircle. Seal the edges by pressing down on them with the flat side of a fork. Repeat until all dough and filling is used.
- In a small bowl, whisk 1 egg with 1 tbsp of 2% milk and a pinch of salt. Place parchment paper on a baking sheet, and the empanadas on top of it. Brush the egg wash over the empanadas.
- Place the baking sheet into the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until they are golden brown. Make sure to not over bake or the dough will get too hard.
- Take the baking sheet out of the oven, letting the empanadas cool for a few minutes. Serve.