20 min prep time, 25 min baking time, 30 min rest time, serves 6 people
One summer I planted zucchinis in my garden, and to my shock I had more zucchinis than I knew what to do with. I came up with the idea to make a roll with them. This Zucchini Roll recipe comes together surprisingly easily. Made with a zucchini-flecked cake rolled around a savory mushroom filling, it makes for a perfect summertime appetizer and a great way to use up excess zucchini from your garden.
- 3 zucchinis
- 1 lb mushrooms, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup dill, chopped
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- Grate the zucchinis into a bowl. Add 1/2 tsp of salt and mix it. Set it aside for 15 minutes. Squeeze and drain the excess liquid from zucchini. Place it in a big bowl.
- Add the 4 eggs, chopped green onion, chopped dill, and flour to the bowl with the zucchini. Season with salt and pepper, mixing well after.
- Lay out parchment paper onto a baking sheet and transfer the zucchini mixture on top of the paper. Spread the mixture evenly over the baking sheet. Place the baking sheet into the preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the mixture becomes a light golden sheet.
- Meanwhile, pour 2 tbsp of olive oil onto a skillet and sauté the chopped onions for 2 minutes over medium high heat. Add the chopped mushrooms and grated carrots, sautéing everything for 2 more minutes or until tender. Turn off the heat and let it cool.
- Once the zucchini sheet is ready, take it out of the oven and let it cool. Slide the parchment paper with the zucchini sheet off the baking sheet and onto the table. Spread the mushroom mixture evenly across the zucchini sheet and sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over it. Roll the zucchini sheet up around the mushroom and mozzarella, using the parchment paper to evenly roll.
- Wrap the zucchini roll with saran wrap and place it in the fridge for 30 minutes to allow it to settle.
- You can serve it cold or heat it up for a few minutes in the oven or microwave.