1 hr cooking time, serves 3-4 people
Though not the most common ingredient in the kitchen, when cooked properly, beef liver can bring a unique taste to a dish, all while providing a rich source of protein and essential vitamins. The sweetness of caramelized onions and savory taste of fried potatoes help balance out this recipe for an all around satisfying meal.
- 1 pound beef liver
- 2 pounds potatoes
- 1 white onion, chopped into slices
- 1/2 cup flour
- vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- Wash beef liver thoroughly and slice into roughly 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Add salt and pepper to the beef liver slices, followed up by coating it with flour. Add a few tablespoons of vegetable oil to a skillet and fry the slices over medium heat for roughly 3 minutes on each side.
- Note: With liver, you want to make sure it is fully cooked, but not overcooked or it will be too tough. If no red juices leak out from liver when poked with a toothpick, it is fully cooked.
- Remove the liver and fry onion slices in the same skillet until they are have caramelized.
- Peel the potatoes, wash under cold water, and cut into thin slices.
- While the liver and onions are frying in one skillet, fry the potatoes slices in another with a few tablespoons of vegetable oil until both sides are golden. Once fully fried, add salt, pepper, and serve with beef liver and onions.