prep time 20 minutes, cooking time 20 minutes, serves 8 people
Fried Meat Pies (Chebureki ) is a deep-fried turnover with a filling of ground or minced meat and onions. It is made with a single round piece of dough folded over the filling in a crescent shape. I found the easy way to make them by using ready store bought uncooked tortillas, which cuts prep time in half. You can serve them as appetizers or a meal.
- 1 package uncooked tortillas ( 16 in package)
- 1.5 lb ground beef, or lamb
- 1 large onion , grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- vegetable oil to fry
- 1/3 cup of water
- In the bowl mix ground beef, onion, slat and pepper, and water, set it a side
- Place 1 tortilla on the table , spread 2 tbsp of meat filling on half of tortilla
2. Fold another half of tortilla over the filling and pinch the edges with a fork. Continue until all ingredients used.
3. Heat the skillet to medium high, add 3 tbsp of vegetable oil and place stuffed tortillas two at the time into the skillet. Fry them 2 minutes on each side or until they are golden. Add oil as needed.
4.Serve them hot or cold with salsa, Greek yogurt, or any sauce you prefer .