15 min prep time, 2 hour wait time, 25 min baking time
Pide is a flatbread very much like pita that is often made in countries throughout Eastern Europe and the Middle East. This homemade pide recipe is easy to make and requires a few ingredients you may already have on hand! Mix up the very simple dough, let it rise, and experience the magic of fresh, warm, perfectly tasty homemade pide. We recommend eating it with feta cheese and tomatoes for the full experience!
- 2 lbs flour
- 2.5 cups warm water
- 0.5 cups vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp active yeast
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Take a large bowl and mix together all of the ingredients, except the sesame seeds and egg. Knead the dough until it becomes consistent throughout and loses its sticky nature.
- Соver the dough and let it rise at room temperature for about 2 hours. The dough should double in size.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F/220°C.
- Place the dough on a flat surface and divide it into six equal pieces. Shape each piece of dough into the shape of a wheel. Use a glass to create indentations into the top of each wheel by pressing down with the opening of the glass. Poke a few holes into the center so only the sides of the pide to rise while baking.
- Break an egg into a bowl and whisk it. Brush the pide with this egg wash. Sprinkle the sesame seeds evenly over the six pieces.
- Lay the pide on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Place the sheet into the preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until golden.
- Take the pide out of the oven and let it cool. Serve.